Friday, March 19, 2021

The Search for Fonts

     This past week I spent time finishing editing the film opening. I went through some obstacles such as having to restart a couple of times due to my computer crashing and not understanding how to use the program well. After multiple attempts, however, I was finally able to edit the clips together. 

    As of now, I'm currently waiting on the music that I will be using in the blog. Like I mentioned before, a friend of mine who is a musician agreed on composing an original "score" for the movie, which in reality will of course just be the one song for the opening. I'm really excited to see how it turns out, but just in case I will be planning on looking into royalty-free music available online as a backup. 

    Today I focused on finding a font for the title as well as the credits that will be included in the opening.

    At first, I thought it would be a cool idea to go for a font that looked like paintbrush strokes but after looking through a couple of different ones I realized it didn't match the genre of the movie, which is drama. It felt like a font perfect for a coming of age movie or something along the same lines. Overall it seemed too joyous and it would not meet the target audience that our drama film is reaching for. 


    In order for my font to properly cater to the target audience, I began researching and looking at the fonts in the drama films I had mentioned in my blog post, Drama Research, as well as the ones listed in Shots and Angles Research. By looking through these movies I gained a better understanding on what type of fonts are most commonly used in drama films. I also referenced a website called Creative Market which had an article on a variety of fonts used in films.
    It was on this website that I found a font called The Artist, which was both clean and matched the content of the opening. I soon found out, however, that this font was only available for purchase through the creative market, and though it was very tempting, I decided against purchasing it. I was sure that I could find something similar for free. 
    Still, I held on to a small string of hope and went back to DaFont, searching for The Artist, and bam I couldn't believe my luck.  
        After deciding on the font I proceeded to use it in the opening and failing to do so multiple times before heading to my friend for help. I'm very excited about how the project is going and I can't wait to be able to finally complete it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment